The Every Other Saturday Show

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're What Gamers Talk About...

4 posters

Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy

Julie
    Julie

Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy Empty Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy

Post  Julie Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:53 pm

'Bout damn time the president rationalizes that science should not be inhibited by outdated laws and inconsistent moral values.

There should have never been a restriction of funding in the first place, nor a ban on creation of new embryonic stem cell germs.

Heres something to chew over for a bit, seeing that most of the controversy of embryonic stem cell research is directly fueled by pro-life followers and their notion that using embryos that would otherwise be discarded or frozen forever is somehow murdering human beings. If a person is formed divinely at conception, and the soul is hence placed into the embryo (making it a human to followers of this doctrine) then what happens to set of identical children born? Seeing that division of these humans in utero happens MUCH after conception and therefore placement of a soul. Does that mean identical twins, triplets, etc. have fractions of a soul because that fertilized egg was only provided with one soul at conception? Hmmm... must be.

NOTE: I am mostly attacking Christian fundamentalists, namely Catholics as these pro-lifers.
    Book
    Book
    Admin

Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy Empty Re: Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy

Post  Book Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 pm

Moral values must be around. If not we would all be running around with multiple wives, clones, slaves, etc... (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Private funding has been around for almost 15 years. The only thing the government has allowed now is more government spending with this stem cell research. I don't think it should be the governments responsibility to have public tax payers pay for this research.
    Julie
    Julie

Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy Empty Re: Obama's Reversal of Stem Cell Funding Policy

Post  Julie Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Private funding may be around, but there was an ultimate freeze on creation of all new lines of embryonic stem cells. We were left with 75 grandfathered lines to continue research, very few available outside of private use. Until this lift, it was very hard to even obtain these lines to continue research without a LOT of money.

The thing about morals... everyone has different ones. I personally don't believe abortions a morally wrong. If you don't want to bring a child into this world, you should try to use better forms of birth control or think about adoption, but abortion should be available if needed. And personally, I wouldn't ever get an abortion, but I don't want to restrict those rights of others.

Same thing kinda goes for these embryonic stem cells. The same argument is given by most people that this is wrong. Instead they want to use adult stem cells (which have much higher rates of and instability in differentiation) because it's not "killing babies". We have a very very good idea that ESC Research could potentially help millions of people.

So, why shouldn't this be partially federally funded? Seeing that a lot of your money already goes to me to do research on plant genetics... And mostly all other University research is solely funded by tax payer money. Personally, I would want my money to go into more medical research than into the stuff I do... Makes more sense for humanity, for whatever humanity we have left.
    needbailmoney
    needbailmoney

Post  needbailmoney Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I am all for government funding so long as its not an additional drain on the spending. No more money to be printed. Take from any number of various social welfare programs to fund this, and all is okay. Any additional spending by the government for this should be strictly prohibited.

On a side note, it's nice to see that president doom and gloom has started (slowly) to revert to his "hope and change" message regarding the current economic crisis. I guess one of his advisers finally pointed out that his negative comments were negatively affecting the economy. Why was it so wrong for McCain to state the fundamentals of our economic system were solid, but now that Obama is saying the EXACT SAME THING, he's correct?
    ronruls
    ronruls
    Admin

Post  ronruls Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:28 pm

because the two party system is a high school popularity contest. as of right now i just wish they'd make politics a reality show already. pointing fingers at each other over the same arguments everyday is ridiculous.
    Julie
    Julie

Post  Julie Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:50 am

I think I would enjoy a reality TV show with politicians... but we really need some better looking ones so I have some eye candy to drool over for the hour I spend a week watching it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:40 am